Magoosh is fixing a broken test prep industry.
Why should students have to put up with exorbitant prices for boring test prep classes and books that might not even work? With Magoosh, they don’t have to. Our mission is simple: create products that give students everywhere access to enjoyable, affordable, and quality test prep. We help millions study at their own pace, on their own time regardless of location, social status, or background. Our team is driven to create the best content and study tools because we’re out to change the test prep experience for all.
Magoosh started in 2009 with four co-founders and a few computers. Today, our team is growing fast and our products are used all over the world in more than 180 countries. Millions have studied with us, downloaded our apps, and watched our videos. And every day, we work with thousands of students to help them get the scores they need to get into the schools they want.
If you’re a friendly, passionate, lifelong learner who’s looking to make a real difference in students’ lives, we want you to help us level the educational playing field. We also believe it's really important that our team reflects the diversity of our students. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented groups and people of diverse backgrounds to apply.
Check out our values here
! About the Job
Magoosh is looking for an experienced and effective Business Operations Manager to help scale our forecasting, modeling and analysis. Your goal will be to make sure that Magoosh has the resources necessary to deliver on our ambitious goals and that those resources are being deployed effectively. For the next ~2 years, this role will be an individual contributor reporting to the Director of Operations. In the long-term, this role may involve people management, including building out a business operations team.
This position is a full time, in-office position based in the Magoosh office in Berkeley, CA with an annual salary range of $103,000 - $119,500, depending on experience. You must be authorized to work in the US. In this position, you will…
- Create forecasts and financial models for the business as a whole, new products, and key projects that will help Magoosh make smart strategic decisions. In time, you will own all forecasting and modeling at Magoosh.
- Support long-term, annual, and quarterly planning by creating financial models showing how our key metrics interact and to determine which projects might be key drivers of our growth.
- Support other business operations projects as they arise. This could be anything from negotiating a contract with a vendor to setting up an accounting system, and everything in between.
- Work cross-functionally to help teams plan and ensure that everyone at Magoosh is working on high-impact projects.
- Create and maintain profitability analysis for our business and products, and generate reports for senior leadership.
- Work with our outsourced accountants, lawyers, and other vendors to complete key projects that will impact Magoosh’s growth and mitigate risks.
- Work hands-on wherever needed – we are a startup environment and we all try to pitch in when necessary!
Extra credit if you…
- Have 3 - 5 years of experience in startup business operations, finance, investment banking, consulting, or a similarly analytical field.
- Possess strong financial modeling skills and the ability to help others build those skills.
- Are able to design intuitive and easy-to-use tools using Excel and/or Google Sheets
- Are comfortable making thoughtful tradeoffs between accuracy and speed. For example, you can exercise good judgment to sacrifice +/- 10% accuracy of a model in order to complete it quickly, but don’t work so quickly that the model is sloppy or incomplete.
- Are detail-oriented, but can see and explain the big picture.
- Are comfortable quantifying hard-to-quantify variables and influencing others to do the same.
Note: Please feel comfortable applying, even you don’t meet all the requirements for the position.
- Know SQL (well enough to pull the data you need with limited support).
- Have experience managing and/or building a team.
To learn more about our hiring process, check out our blog post
. To learn more about our benefits and perks, check out our benefits and perks doc
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.