Plans, organizes and implements computer systems and solutions. Evaluates existing systems and makes recommendations. Sets standards for system management support.
- Assumes project level responsibility for planning, evaluating, installing and maintaining data systems.
- Closely monitors the performance of specific computer/communications network components to ensure system availability and verify smooth system operation.
- Leads, mentors, performs and consults on the development and execution of testing related activities, including but not limited to risk analysis, test plans, test case or results analysis; coordination of testing activities, diagnosis of application or process deficiencies and/or problems.
- Makes recommendations concerning possible software purchases, evaluates and recommends acquisition of hardware and equipment. Recommends changes to increase the operating efficiency of hardware and software.
- Develops job control and programming standards; performs internal departmental studies and develops departmental procedures; may coordinate the conversion of existing systems to meet the needs of new computer hardware and software.
- Contributes to the definition of changes in methodologies, technical architectures, and practices and organization that would improve the operation of the department and it customers.
- Reviews application systems to determine their impact on computer operating environments including hardware needs and estimating the financial impact of the new application systems.
- Analyzes and documents problems with vendor-supplied software and generates documentation for submission or software problems to vendor; contacts outside resources for input to resolve software problems and applies corrective action.
- Provides technical assistance and training to lower level System Analysts, operations personnel, and other district personnel as required to assure proper understanding and utilization of the computer facility; may direct the work of others.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Customer Service Liaison between faculty and IT to identify technology solutions for faculty needs. Escalation point for College Tech Managers for unmet faculty needs. Represent/Advocate for Faculty within IT projects and process Identify or create business processes for faculty from a technology focused course of action. Research and evaluate emerging technologies and novel instructional approaches for possible use. Evaluate and recommend classroom tools and hardware. Coordinate with Tech Managers the Publishers requirements for text and technology faculty will need to teach. Define academic technology needs by working and collaborating with faculty and administration. Prepare and present progress reports on a regular basis.
Requires a Bachelor's degree and 5 years' job-related experience. A thorough understanding of both theoretical and practical aspects of an analytical, technical or professional discipline; or the basic knowledge of more than one professional discipline is essential. Knowledge of the discipline is normally obtained through a formal, directly job-related 4 year degree from a college or university or an equivalent in-depth specialized training program that is directly related to the type of work being performed.
The ideal candidate will have a solid understanding of teaching and learning principles and experience working directly with faculty or students, is flexible, creative, solution oriented, resourceful, takes initiative and is willing to explore new areas while being connected to trends and developments in the field. Experience supporting a variety of delivery formats (CBE, traditional, flipped, hybrid and fully online) is important. OUR BENEFITS:
The University of Houston is constantly seeking talented people to join our team and offers a very competitive benefits package that includes:
The University of Houston is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution. Minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Additionally, the University prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
- Access to the state-of-the-art Campus Recreation and Wellness Center
- On-campus Day Care Facilities
- Free employee medical coverage
- On-campus Health Center (medical clinic, dental services, pharmacy, immunizations, etc.)
- Retirement plans
- Tuition scholarships and much more!