JOB TITLE: Staff Assistant
PROGRAM: State Services Division
LOCATION: Denver, CO
SALARY: $2,723+/month depending on experience
Provide basic administrative support for staff and programs within the State Services Division of NCSL and for the State Fiscal Health project. This position requires a detail-oriented individual with excellent organizational skills, creativity and the ability to thrive in a professional environment supporting the work of multiple team members. The position involves regular contact with NCSL’s members (state legislators and legislative staff), NCSL staff, outside partner organizations, vendors and the public.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Provides basic and advanced administrative and clerical support to division staff.
2. Logistical support and assistance with researching, compiling, and preparing background materials for projects, meetings, and conferences.
3. Drafts, mail-merges, and sends emails, letters, invitations and other correspondence to NCSL constituents in a manner that professionally represents NCSL and follows appropriate protocols.
4. Is willing to travel to provide on-site support for various meetings and conferences.
5. Independently formats and posts documents to the NCSL website.
6. Develops, establishes, maintains, and manages databases.
7. May perform other duties as assigned.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as laptop computers, copy machines, scanners and smartphones.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, lift small objects up to 30 lbs., open filing cabinets and bend, stoop, or stand on a stool as necessary. Requires the ability to travel locally, regionally and nationally, including overnight and weekends.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
• High school diploma (or its equivalent) plus five years of progressively more complex secretarial experience or a bachelor's degree plus one year of secretarial work experience. Business and/or administrative school training is desired.
• Skill and competency in handling administrative, technical or professional details.
• Requires skill and competency with the Microsoft Office suite of applications.
• The ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally, and to deal discreetly and maturely with sensitive information.
• Superior customer service skills and experience.
• Expertise and proficiency in coordinating work assigned by others, even under pressure.
• The ability to effectively prioritize assignments, manage time, work independently and problem solve.
• Is well organized, efficient, flexible and a team contributor with a positive attitude.
• Experience in working with website documents is desired.
NCSL offers an outstanding benefits package including low cost health, dental and vision coverage, a 401(a)-retirement plan with 10% contribution after 6 months and full vesting, life & disability insurance, 3-weeks paid vacation with 5+ years of paid full-time work experience, paid leave, telework, pet insurance, discounted bus / train passes, in-office dry cleaning pick up, access to 24-hour fitness memberships, and more!
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume highlighting skills and qualifications to: https://ncsl.applicantpro.com/jobs no later than Friday, May 11, 2018.
NCSL IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.