Saint Michael's College delivers a compelling, world-class education in a beautiful Vermont setting. Our connected community allows students to form close relationships with each other and accomplished faculty and staff members, providing an ideal learning environment where they have the space and support to challenge themselves and their peers. As a fully residential college located minutes from Burlington, one of the country's top-rated college towns, Saint Michael's offers an unparalleled mix of academic, spiritual, cultural, service and wilderness experiences. Saint Michael's is among the elite ranks of only 283 colleges and universities nationwide allowed to host a Phi Beta Kappa national honor society chapter on campus, making it clear why Newsweek magazine labeled the college a "hidden treasure" that "deserves more national recognition." The College is included in the Princeton Review's Best 379 Colleges, earning a spot on the Green College Honor Roll for demonstrating a strong commitment to sustainability. Surrounded by the beautiful Green Mountains and Lake Champlain, and only 3.5 hours from Boston and 1.5 hours from Montreal, the area offers abundant recreational and cultural opportunities. To learn more, visit smcvt.edu. Job Description:
The Education Department of Saint Michael's College is seeking an active scholar and skilled instructor for a Visiting Assistant Professor position in Literacy Education at the PK- 8 level (3- year contract with possibility of conversion to tenure-track during or at the end of the term). This faculty member will be an integral part of a cohesive Education Department that has an excellent reputation for guiding undergraduate and graduate students to meet teacher licensure requirements and becoming educational leaders.
Job Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
Benefits include health, dental, vision, life, disability, 401(k), employee and dependent tuition benefits, and discounted gym membership.Requirements:
- Teach undergraduate and graduate PK-8 literacy methods courses; Educational Research
- Must have the ability to design and develop training models, teaching methods and curricula that incorporate issues of diversity in the classroom.
- Coordinate the Master of Education Literacy Concentration
- Supervise student teaching internships and reading specialist practicum
- Advise students on program requirements, course registration, and career goals
- Serve on Education Department and college committees
- Develop and nurture partnerships with local schools and educational centers
- Assist in admissions activities
- Earned Doctorate with expertise in Literacy Education by August 2019
- Minimum of three years teaching experience at the PK-8 grade level
- Commitment and experience working with diverse student populations of all ages
- Ability to incorporate a variety of perspectives and prepare students for working in diverse and inclusive environments
- Experience teaching literacy education (PK-8) courses at the university or college level
- Evidence of engagement in research and creating partnerships with schools
- Experience advising students, supervising student teachers
- Commitment to teacher/scholar/service model
- Demonstrated strong oral and written communication skills
- Familiarity with software programs in literacy as well as the use of technology in the instructional process
Additional Areas of Expertise Preferred:
- Experience with Early Childhood and Emergent Literacy
- Experience with New Literacies
- Experience with literacy in the content area and disciplinary literacy
An offer of employment will be contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Additional Information:
Saint Michael's College, inspired by our Edmundite Catholic mission, is committed to diversity and inclusion across our campus community. We are committed to attracting and supporting faculty and staff that fully represent the racial, ethnic, religious, and cultural diversity of the nation, and we actively seek applications from underrepresented groups. Applicants are invited to include in their cover letter and other documents information about how they may contribute to our goal through their research, teaching and/or service.
The mission of the Education Programs at Saint Michael's College is to contribute to the intellectual, ethical, social, and spiritual development of individuals and culture, with an emphasis on creativity, curiosity, contemplation, collaboration, social justice, and sustainability.
Saint Michael's College is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity, in compliance with applicable provisions of state and federal law that prohibit discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, age, ancestry, national origin, place of birth, religion, sexual orientation, veteran or military service status, HIV-positive test result status, genetic information, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic, as such characteristics and prohibitions are defined by applicable law. The College will not rely inappropriately on such characteristics, or upon related stereotypes or biases, in making employment-related decisions. Also, unless doing so would result in an undue hardship or otherwise would not be required by applicable law, the College will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, as well as any employee who is limited in her ability to perform the functions of her job because of pregnancy, childbirth or a medical condition related to pregnancy or childbirth. Application Instructions:
Please be prepared to attach the following documents after clicking on Apply Now button:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum Vitae
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled. Effective start date is targeted to be July 1, 2019.
No phone calls, emails or walk-ins please. Apply Here