Magoosh is fixing a broken test prep industry.
Why should students have to put up with exorbitant prices for boring prep classes and books that might not even work? With Magoosh, they don’t have to. Our mission is simple: create products that give students everywhere access to enjoyable, affordable, and quality test prep. We help millions study at their own pace, on their own time regardless of location, social status, or background. Our team is driven to build the best content and study tools because we’re out to change the test prep experience for all.
Magoosh started in 2009 with four co-founders and a few computers. Today, we're growing fast and our products are used all over the world in more than 180 countries. Millions have studied with us, downloaded our apps, and watched our videos. And every single day, we work with students to help them get the scores they need to get into the schools they want.
We first and foremost care about helping students, and we’ve turned test prep from a necessary evil into an enjoyable experience at an affordable price.
If you’re a friendly, passionate, lifelong learner who’s looking to make a real difference in students’ lives, we want you to help us level the educational playing field. We also believe it's really important that our team reflects the diversity of our students. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented groups and people of diverse backgrounds to apply.
Check out our values here
! About the Job
We’re looking for a business-savvy data scientist to help us provide affordable, effective, and enjoyable test prep to even more students across the globe. You will play a critical role in defining and solving many strategic and operational problems we face.
This position is a full-time, in-office position based in the Magoosh office in Berkeley, CA with an annual salary of $132,500 to $141,500, depending on experience. You must be authorized to work in the US. In this position, you will…
You have many of the following…
- Deepen our understanding of user behavior and identify opportunities to increase user study time and learning
- Influence strategy and help inform key product and marketing decisions
- Advise on experimentation design and interpret experimental results
- Perform ad hoc analysis for multiple departments and communicate outcomes in a clear and concise manner
- Develop and socialize metrics, monthly reporting and dashboards and provide actionable next steps
- Proactively find ways to make data more useful and accessible
- Partner with Engineering to improve data tracking
Extra credit if you…
- Have at least 3 years of experience translating business problems into data problems with different stakeholders
- Have at least 2 years of work experience with SQL in an analytical role: you can independently optimize your query for performance & readability
- Are comfortable with Excel: you can easily create pivot tables, nested conditions, and lookups
- Have college-level coursework in statistics, probability theory, machine learning, econometrics, and research design, or equivalent work experience
- Are familiar with basic commands in Python/R: you need little help implementing off-the-shelf machine learning algorithms
Note: Please feel free to apply, even if you don’t meet all the requirements for the position.
- Can creatively solve a data problem by either modifying an off-the-shelf solution or defining your own method
- Are experienced with mining very large (several million rows) and messy (missing values & non-tabular) datasets
- Have worked with Mixpanel and Google Analytics
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
To learn more about our hiring process, check out our blog post
. To learn more about our benefits and perks, check out our benefits and perks doc