The Environmental Manager is responsible for the preparation of the Landfill budget, managing all spending for the Engineering department, and overseeing consultants and contractors during site development. The Environmental Manager is also responsible for permitting and ensuring the Landfill remains in compliance with all applicable regulations during operation.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of environmental regulations relating to air, water, solid waste, and material recovery/recycling.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Effective interpersonal communication across various levels of the organization and with external customers, vendors and government agency representatives.
- Strong project management skills.
- Strong analytical skills and a focus on adding value to the Company.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret business documents, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations.
- Manages construction projects for Landfill cells and sites, including capacity calculations, scheduling/timeline, management of third-party CQA and contractors, and resource and material coordination.
- Maintain financial responsibility for construction/cell development, closure/post-closure, engineering, operations, and cost tracking.
- Coordinates completion of permit applications and designs, including regulatory interface, site expansion, modification or changes to the operating plan application, and other related data.
- Prepares notifications/responses to regulatory inspections, administrative warnings.
- Assists Landfill and Site Managers with development of fill sequencing plans.
- Participates in review of targeted acquisitions, including Phase I assessment/property survey coordination, engineering review of design and operations, and pro-forma modeling assistance.
- Performs ongoing public relations and due diligence activities through communication with corporate office, regulatory agency representatives, third party consultants and investors.
- Completes monthly soil tracking reports and other status reports.
- Regularly supervises Environmental Technicians and Specialists, including responsibility for hiring, training, mentoring, developing, scheduling, directing, managing performance and other related issues; review the work of, and is accountable for the performance of Environmental Technicians and Specialists.
- Attends regulatory and association sponsored informational and policy meetings.
- Ensures continued compliance by coordinating air, water monitoring, environmental data review and reporting.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Certified Professional Engineer and/or Certified Professional Geologist designation.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Geology, Biology or related science.
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
- Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
- Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
- Short- and long-term disability.
- Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
- Employee discount programs.
- 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.