The American Academy of Arts & Sciences, one of the nation’s prominent learned societies and independent policy research centers headquartered in Cambridge, MA, seeks a Membership Information and Elections Coordinator to provide support for all aspects of the annual nomination and election process as well as member data information.
The nomination and election process is run by the Membership Information and Elections (MIE) department, which processes over 1,000 nominations each year and conducts 30-50 membership election conference calls culminating in the election of the new honorees.
The MIE department also serves as the primary information source regarding Academy members. The Academy membership encompasses over 4,900 Fellows and 600 Foreign Honorary Members and reflects the full range of disciplines and professions: the physical and biological sciences, the social and behavioral sciences, the arts and humanities and leadership, policy and communications. MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Serve as the first point of contact for questions or inquiries to the Membership Office.
- Input member information changes including address, title, affiliation, and other member data.
- Process and review nominations and draft correspondence as necessary.
- In collaboration with the director and associate, prepare nomination and election materials for membership submission, committee review, committee meetings, and conference calls.
- Create and maintain nominee records in the database and as paper files.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Associate degree required (Bachelor’s degree preferred)
- Experience working in an academic or nonprofit environment.
- Must be able to handle confidential information appropriately, and to engage with Academy members in a patient, poised and diplomatic manner.
- Possess initiative, outstanding oral and written communication skills, organizational skills, interpersonal skills, and proofing and editing skills.
- Ability to creatively problem-solve and be flexible in a changing environment.
- Demonstrated experience in managing multiple activities and tasks in a high tempo environment.
- Ability to effectively interact with a diverse, distinguished membership base.
- Facility with learning names and accuracy in presenting them.
- Ability to learn quickly, prioritize, and work accurately with little supervision.
- Proficiency in database querying, Microsoft Office (Excel, Access, Word), Adobe Acrobat, various document processing and database applications, and basic to intermediate internet searches.
- Strong interest in fact-finding and research-based projects