SchoolHouse Connection, a fast-paced, results-oriented national nonprofit organization working to overcome homelessness through education, is seeking a Policy and Outreach Manager to advance our federal policy agenda.
This position is an opportunity to mobilize, equip, and inspire SHC’s network, as well as new stakeholders, to take action on holistic solutions to child, youth, and family homelessness, rooted in the realities of local communities.
This is a full-time, salaried position with generous benefits. The Policy and Outreach Manager will work remotely, as do all of SHC’s employees. However, regular in-person meetings in Washington, DC are required. For that reason, only applicants living in, or willing to relocate to, the DC Metro area will be considered
. SchoolHouse Connection is committed to developing a diverse and dynamic team and welcomes applications from people of color, individuals with disabilities, and LGBT+ individuals.About SchoolHouse Connection
SHC is the nation’s leading expert on the early care and education of children and youth experiencing homelessness. We provide strategic advocacy and practical assistance in partnership with early childhood programs, schools, institutions of higher education, service providers, families, and youth. We have ushered to passage many critical federal and state policies and programs for children and youth experiencing homelessness, and provide extensive practical assistance to ensure that these policies lead to real outcomes.Job Responsibilities
The Policy and Outreach Manager reports to the Executive Director, and is responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Mobilizing local and state educators and service providers to take action on legislative and policy issues related to housing and homeless assistance, early care, and education.
- Training local and state educators and service providers to become effective policy advocates.
- Writing policy action alerts, analyses, talking points, public comments, and other documents.
- Leading coalition-building and outreach to identify, build relationships with, and strategically engage new allies from diverse backgrounds and political beliefs.
- Supporting strategic advocacy communications, including online videos, infographics, testimonials, op-eds, and other creative communication tools.
We’re seeking candidates who excel in persuasion,
writing and speaking, are results-oriented,
are skilled in building and sustaining relationships
, and have strong policy knowledge and organizational skills.
You should have:
Some travel (approximately 3 trips per year) is required.
- A track record of effectively mobilizing people to take action on policy and legislative issues;
- The ability to clearly, accurately, and knowledgeably articulate SHC’s advocacy positions, effectively rebut opposition arguments, and persuade others to support SHC’s advocacy agenda;
- Significant knowledge of homelessness/housing issues, particularly as they impact youth, children, families;
- Clear, concise, and persuasive public speaking and writing abilities;
- Some knowledge of the federal legislative process;
- A demonstrated ability to handle a heavy workload, and achieve results, even in the face of obstacles, while displaying high standards of excellence and integrity; and
- The ability to work independently and take initiative, while ensuring alignment and thriving as a collegial member of a small but mighty team
SchoolHouse Connection provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, or veteran status. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities.Salary and Benefits
Benefits: Work from home; flexible work schedule; generous holiday and vacation leave; fully paid health insurance; 403(b) retirement plan; small, collegial team; many opportunities to use skills, learn, and grow professionally.
Please send a cover letter, resume, at least two writing samples, and at least two references, by March 31, 2020,