POLICY, CAMPAIGNS & ADVOCACY – PUBLIC POLICY
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Action Fund seek a dynamic and effective individual to oversee the daily execution of the Public Policy Department’s work. Reporting to the National Director of Public Policy in the Government Relations Department, the Director of Public Policy will manage a team of policy experts and an expansive and exciting portfolio of issues that impact peoples’ ability to access comprehensive reproductive health services. This position includes the management of team members, oversight over the development and review of policy documents, materials, and tools, and the development and implementation of team processes.
The successful candidate will have experience managing people and projects, superb writing and editing skills, and the ability to quickly and effectively prioritize projects within a fast-paced environment. This position will play a critical role in managing PPFA’s burgeoning health policy portfolio and ensuring effective coordination and collaboration across the team and organization. Health policy advocacy or delivery experience is a plus.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Supervise and support policy analysts and other team members in their efforts to achieve policy goals
- Maintain a team focus on top policy priorities, and develop efficient project coordination streams
- Oversee the continued execution and improvement of team processes, including processes designed to track and influence regulatory policy, support local affiliates in achieving state policy goals, and assist the legislative team in bill analysis
- Effectively grow team members’ issue area expertise and ability to consistently and confidently anticipate and respond to affiliate requests for policy support.
- Manage technical assistance to affiliates on federal policy and operations issues.
- Actively support the day-to-day work of the department by running regular meetings with internal team members and consultants, by ensuring effective systems for policy development and execution.
- Manage the development and editing of all written documents, including official comment letters, memos, and toolkits.
- Facilitate strong working relationships with other departments and divisions within the organization, as a part of supporting existing work and identifying new areas of collaboration.
- Manage onboarding of new staff members, including keeping relevant resources up-to-date.
- Oversee training and professional development planning, including working with National Director and other Directors to plan policy team retreats and other staff development opportunities.
- Work with National Director and other Directors to lead goal planning and budget management.
- Oversee the production of a wide range of written materials to include memos, blogs, annual reports, policy analysis, project plans and budgets.
- Organize, present and participate in trainings, webinars, conferences to build awareness of Planned Parenthood’s public policy goals among health care policy leaders and influencers.
- Responsible for synthesizing, distilling and communicating complex issues to a both technical and nontechnical audience.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- JD preferred
- Minimum of 7-10 years of work experience developing and executing projects
- Minimum of three years of personnel management experience overseeing four or more people
- Impeccable writing and editing skills
- Exceptional analytical skills
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Strategic mindset with flexibility to make adjustments to program structure and goals
- Proven ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Passion for health care and PPFA’s mission
- Knowledge of diverse groups, working with a multicultural workforce, and sensitivity and appreciation to cultural differences
- Ability to demonstrate successful navigation of challenging policy landscape within an evolving health care system
- Ability to think strategically, cultivate relationships and work within coalitions to influence health policy outcomes
10% or less domestic travel
*LI-SY1PPFA participates in the E-Verify program. We are an equal employment opportunity employer and are committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.