The Community Energy Department (CED) is seeking to fill one (1) full-time Assistant Director position to provide strategic leadership and day-to-day operational guidance to the Community Energy Department.
The Assistant Director will report to the Community Energy Director and assume the role of ‘Chief Operating Officer,’ guiding the daily operations for the Community Energy Department. The Assistant Director will address the strategic leadership needs of the department to direct the planning and organization of a major City department, as well as make recommendations for improvements across major divisions in department operations.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
• Assist the Director in providing executive level leadership to other Executive staff and Division Managers overseeing major functional areas of the Community Energy Department including: Power Resources; Account Management, Marketing & Public Affairs; Regulatory, Legislative & Compliance; Risk Management, Contracts and Administration, and Budget and Financial Planning;
• Plan and direct the research and preparation of recommendations for the Director;
• Provide executive oversight of contract negotiations and the preparation of agreements on behalf of SJCE;
• Provide direct leadership oversight for several operating groups, including contracts management, budget and financial planning, human resources administration, risk management, regulatory compliance, and legislative affairs.
• Confer with Director for overall strategic direction and policy guidance;
• Participate in long and short-range planning of Community Energy Department policies and practices;
• Represent the department at City Council meetings and serve as Acting Director in matters pertaining to the Community Energy Director in her absence.
Education: A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in business administration, public administration, or related field; a Master’s degree is preferred.
Experience: Seven (7) years of increasingly responsible experience in business management, and/or administration, utility operations, and/or renewable energy. Experience at a level equivalent to Deputy Director is desirable.
Licenses/Certificates: Possession of a valid license authorizing operation of a motor vehicle in California may be required. Certain positions may require possession of a specialized certificate, license, and/or registration related to a specific area of responsibility.
Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country.
Please be informed that the City of San José will not sponsor, represent, or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa that requires an employee application.
This position is open until filled. To be considered for this exceptional opportunity, please submit an electronic version of your resume (including dates of employment plus staff and budgets managed) and cover letter, to:
Michelle Saechao, City of San José Department of Community Energy
Resumes will be screened in relation to the criteria outlined in this brochure. Only candidates deemed to have the most relevant qualifications will be invited to first-level interviews. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews. If you have any questions regarding this opportunity, please do not hesitate to contact Michelle Saechao.
City of San José is an equal opportunity employer.