The Center for Biological Diversity seeks a full-time Senior Campaigner in our Climate Law Institute to join our campaign for progressive, urgent federal action to address the climate emergency.
The Climate Law Institute wages innovative legal and grassroots campaigns to protect people, wildlife and ecosystems from climate change and the dirty and dangerous fossil fuel industry. We work to eliminate greenhouse pollution and speed the just transition to 100 percent clean, renewable energy. Examples of our campaign goals include ensuring a just transition that protects people and wildlife, not fossil fuel polluters; ending federal fossil fuel leasing; phasing out existing drilling; and using the full power of the Clean Air Act to address greenhouse pollution economy-wide.
The successful candidate will play a leading role in our Los Angeles, California and national organizing and campaigning work, and will further deepen our work across movements for climate, racial and economic justice. Campaigners are part of a dynamic, collaborative team including fellow organizers as well as scientists, lawyers and media professionals.
The position is located in Los Angeles, California, with other locations considered on a case-by-case basis.Main duties:
Essential qualities, qualifications and skills:
- Supporting organizational and coalition work to obtain specific science-based, progressive climate actions in California and from the federal government, such as ending federal fossil fuel leasing, phasing out existing drilling, and using the full power of the Clean Air Act to address greenhouse pollution economy-wide.
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with coalition allies working together to achieve our goals. This includes playing a leadership role in coalitions through regular in-person, phone, and electronic communication.
- Forming strategic relationships with new allies to increase our mutual power. We work closely with environmental justice organizations and are committed to supporting movements to dismantle anti-Black racism, white supremacy, and all forms of colonization and oppression.
- Organizing and promoting participation in hearings, protests, and other advocacy efforts.
- Assisting with legislative efforts, such as supporting interaction with members of the California legislature and members of Congress.
- Expanding recruitment and engagement of Center supporters in southern California, statewide and nationally on climate issues.
- Travel required (when safe).
- Five to seven years of experience in results-oriented coalition organizing and advocacy campaigns.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with colleagues and organizations with a wide array of goals, perspectives, and backgrounds.
- Commitment to incorporating principles of justice, equity, and inclusion into all aspects of the work. Existing relationships and experience working with grassroots organizations led by Black, Indigenous, and other people of color preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully navigate challenges, including from a powerful and well-resourced opposition.
- Strong organizational skills and an ability to succeed in a fast-paced environment with a full workload where it is necessary to balance multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Excellent analytic, written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and with a team.
- Experience with media outreach and media interviews preferred.
- Paid generous medical, dental and vision plan.
- Paid STD and LTD.
- 403(b) plan with opportunity for match.
- Relaxed work atmosphere.
Please apply online by submitting a cover letter, resume, short writing sample and 3-5 references with your application. The position will remain open until filled. No telephone calls, please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The Center for Biological Diversity deeply values, and is committed to sustaining and promoting, both biological and cultural diversity. We welcome, embrace and respect diversity of people, identities and cultures. We are committed to fostering an organizational culture of diversity and inclusion. The Center believes staff and board diversity is critical to saving life on Earth.We are an equal opportunity employer.