VentureWell is on a mission to cultivate a pipeline of inventors, innovators, and entrepreneurs driven to solve the world’s biggest challenges and to create lasting impact. We foster collaboration among the best minds from research labs, classrooms, and beyond to advance innovation and entrepreneurship education and to provide unique opportunities for STEM students and researchers to fully realize their potential to improve the world.
Over the past 25 years, we’ve trained more than 3,000 early-stage innovation teams and helped launch over 850 ventures that have raised close to $1billion in public and private investments. These ventures have reached millions of people in over 50 countries with technological advancements in fields such as biotechnology, healthcare, sustainable energy and materials, and solutions for low-resource settings.
VentureWell’s office is located in beautiful western Massachusetts near several higher ed institutions, including the flagship campus of the University of Massachusetts in Amherst. During the COVID-19 pandemic, our staff is working remotely.
VentureWell is committed to advancing equity both internally with staff, and externally through our programming and engagement with the science & technology innovation and entrepreneurship communities. We are seeking staff equally committed to this work, who are engaged in issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion, who will be excited to add to our culture and our impact.
VentureWell has an exciting opportunity to hire several program officers to join our team. If you are someone with at least three years of highly related experience, including project management or program administration this may be a great role for you. Candidates must bring domain experience in fields related to VentureWell program areas, such as: science and technology innovation, entrepreneurship, global health, climate change and sustainability, early stage investing, startup acceleration or incubation, or in a startup. We also seek staff who bring experience (work or lived) with groups identifying as marginalized by racism, sexism, or classism.
Program Officer Responsibilities:
In this role you will:
- Leverage domain experience to coordinate and implement new and existing program offerings with guidance from manager
- Contribute domain experience to program area, and leverages domain knowledge to develop content for new offerings, synthesize lessons learned into program design evolution, and provide thought leadership across the Program team
- Serve as a primary point of contact for program participants from a wide variety of backgrounds
- Implement defined program objectives, using domain experience to deliver programming – including group conversation facilitation, presenting and teaching directly in a “front of classroom” role, and one-on-one engagements with participants (e.g. students, faculty, professionals, etc.)
- Work towards actively advancing equity in the scope of individual performance goals, and broader contributions to VentureWell’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Recommend content and process improvements from available information (evaluations, funders, partners, etc.)
- Actively participate in internal collaboration and communication to ensure program success through use of project management tools and practices including project kick-off and ongoing management
- Contribute to the management of consultants who work on a dynamic mix of programs and events
- Ensure logistics required for successful program implementation are planned and executed in a manner that delivers excellence
- Ensure seamless meeting setup on-the-fly during an event, whether in person or virtual, and providing on-the-ground support of activities and events during in-person program execution
- Use domain experience and evaluation findings to recommend program improvements
- Work within defined program direction with funders and/or partners for successful Program implementation
- Update program materials developed by domain experts as necessary
- Design, plan, and facilitate effective meetings
- Prepare and synthesize written material for proposals and reports to funder
For more information about VentureWell, including our benefits, click here
- BS/BA required; advanced degree preferred
- Minimum 3 years related experience including project management or program administration, with domain experience in fields related to VentureWell program areas, such as science and technology innovation, entrepreneurship, global health, climate change and sustainability, early stage investing, startup acceleration or incubation, or in a startup.
- Experience (work or lived) with groups identifying as marginalized by racism, sexism, or classism
- Demonstrated history of success utilizing project management skills, including ability to meet deadlines and coordinate multiple tasks with a wide range of stakeholders
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills with an ability to articulate and synthesize information in a compelling, organized manner
- Comfort and experience delivering trainings or content related to domain experience online and in person
- Ability to extract key information and data to recommend solutions
- Ability to succeed and thrive in an environment with competing and changing priorities and tight deadlines
- Track record of and ability to build solid, collaborative working relationships; strong team player who enjoys “customer service” orientation to collaboration internally and externally
- Self-starter with strong attention to detail and a commitment to delivering high-quality work
- Highly adaptable and comfortable working with a degree of ambiguity
- Ability to understand and apply appropriate tools and technologies used in the workplace; ease with adapting new technologies as needed
- High degree of digital fluency using cloud-based office tools such as GSuite, CRMs, team collaboration tools, and other web-based applications; ability to incorporate these tools into day to day work
- Across the board, VentureWell staff:
- Are able to succeed and thrive in an environment with competing and changing priorities and tight deadlines
- Have a track record of and ability to build solid, collaborative working relationships; and are strong team players who enjoy “customer service” orientation to collaboration internally and externally
- Are self-starters with strong attention to detail and a commitment to delivering high-quality work
- Are active learners who independently learn new tools and work processes quickly
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills
- Are committed to advancing equity
Candidates for this position must not require sponsorship for U.S. Work Authorization
VentureWell is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. M/W/D/V