The Senior Business Development and Marketing Manager is a recognized leader within the Marketing Department and serves as a primary business development and marketing liaison to the M&A and PE Global Practice Group and affiliated practices, which are critical to the Firm’s success. In conjunction with the practice leaders, s/he leads development and execution of business development and marketing strategy that supports the overall business goals of the practice. The Senior Business Development and Marketing Manager also collaborates with other marketing and practice leaders across practices and functions.
S/he will have direct supervisory responsibilities for the team supporting the Global Practice Group which may include Managers, Specialists and Coordinators. Additionally, s/he is expected to lead by example, mentor junior members of the team and embody the highest standards of service delivery. The role requires the development of strong and effective working relationships within the marketing department, as well as with other administrative departments and lawyersResponsibilities
- Consults with practice leaders to develop and execute marketing and client development plans for the group and individual lawyers within the practice.
- Ensures a coordinated, sustained level and appropriate mix of marketing and business development activity among the lawyers across the practice.
- Leads, attends and contributes to practice and departmental meetings and planning sessions as needed.
- Serves as project manager and key contributor for RFPs, pitches and other business development projects, both for primary practices and other groups, as necessary.
- Manages, develops and refines processes and procedures relating to the practice(s) business development “infrastructure” (e.g., written collateral; database/matter lists; contact lists; opportunity tracking; etc.). Ensures processes are efficient and the best possible use is made of available technology and other resources.
- Leverages market knowledge to drive strategy within service areas and identify ways to distinguish service offerings.
- Facilitates the planning, implementation and follow-up of new business or cross-marketing opportunities.
- Advises on the business development and marketing budget for the practice, providing guidance and recommendations to the leaders of the group, including evaluating the return on investment of initiatives.
- Leads the development of the profile-raising activities for the practice including the submission of rankings, surveys, league tables and other ratings information as well as sponsorships and programs.
- Participates in hiring, managing and developing staff. Oversees daily operations and monitor staff work product. Manages professional development of staff including but not limited to establishing goals, coaching and training. Prepares annual performance appraisals and provides timely feedback on performance.
- Delegates work efficiently and effectively to other team members.
- Works with other leaders within and outside the marketing department on special projects outside the practice.
- Liaises with other marketing staff to execute practice-related activities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the Duties and Responsibilities (Duties) above satisfactorily and meet the requirements below. The requirements listed below are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. If you need such an accommodation, please email email@example.com (current employees should contact Human Resources).
Education and/or Experience:
- A minimum of 10 years of professional marketing or business development experience and/or strategic planning, sales, market assessment or positioning in law firm or other professional services industry
- A minimum of four (4) years of direct personnel management experience
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university, preferably in marketing, communication, business/finance or related field
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines and priorities, and take initiative to lead projects
- Deep understanding and market knowledge in the assigned service areas or industry
- Aptitude for technology/applications used for tracking business development and marketing activities
- Strong presentation skills and demonstrated ability to present to management and peers
- Strong organizational prioritization skills for self and team
- Excellent writing and proofreading skills
- Demonstrated PC experience required: MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Experience working with sensitive or confidential information
- Advanced degree in a related area, such as marketing, law, business or communications (M.B.A. or J.D. a considerable plus)
- Experience in relevant industry
Other Skills and Abilities:
The following will also be required of the successful candidate:
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Good judgment
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Able to work harmoniously and effectively with others
- Able to preserve confidentiality and exercise discretion
- Able to work under pressure
- Able to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines and priorities
Sidley Austin LLP is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.Apply Here