Accounting Manager LOCATION
This position is based at IYF’s headquarters in Baltimore, MD, USA. However, DC and VA residents willing to commute to Baltimore twice per week will be considered for this position. IYF offers generous telecommuting and flexible schedules for employees
Controller SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY (IF APPLICABLE)
Accounts Payable Associate ABOUT INTERNATIONAL YOUTH FOUNDATION (IYF®)
For 30 years, our sole focus has been to help young people succeed. Together with partners around the world, we’ve invested in ensuring that youth develop the leadership, technical, and life skills to earn a livelihood. Whether it’s landing a first job, growing a business, or driving social change, every young person deserves the opportunity to realize his or her full potential. Rooted in the belief of youth as problem-solvers, change-makers, and leaders, our initiatives are catalysts for change. For more information please consult www.iyfnet.org
. PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The Accounting Manager is a member of the Accounting team. The Accounting Manager provides accounting and payroll support with a specific focus on ensuring timely and effective monthly and annual financial closing, processing of accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll and other day-to-day accounting and payroll needs. This position requires an individual with a positive team spirit, enthusiasm to integrate into a growing and highly dynamic team, and commitment to a collaborative approach in working as part of a global team. The accounting function is critical to supporting program delivery.
This position reports directly to the Controller and collaborates to ensure accounting functions are performed up to the highest standards and structure needed to ensure successful program delivery.
This position communicates with a diverse staff in multiple locations using email, video and audio conference technology. This position must be able to communicate and collaborate effectively globally.
We have seen firsthand the benefits of a diverse team, and the strength that comes with diversity in experience, background, and perspective. We strongly encourage applications from candidates that would bring a unique or underrepresented perspective to our finance department. Candidates are encouraged to identify their unique talents, strengths and experiences in this area.CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for all aspects of global accounting systems and accounting processes, including month-end close, ensuring compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and internal controls and integrity, suitability, accuracy, and timeliness of internal information systems.
- Assist with the accounting administration of country offices, working closely with upper management and others to ensure that IYF country office bank account updates and annual filings are completed.
- Assist in all month-end, quarter-end, and year-end closing activities including journal entry review/posting, balance sheet reconciliations and expense allocation, etc.
- Maintain accounting systems and other records, such as monthly backups of country office accounting data, updates to payroll ledgers, employee receivables, prepaid expenses, inventory of property and equipment, and reporting schedules.
- Manage accounts payable cycle, process and staff.
- Prepare billing invoices and follow up as necessary. Manage accounts receivable and revenue.
- Responsible for management and maintenance of all accounting (SunSystems and QuickBooks) and time tracking (XM Time) information systems.
- Responsible for Project Start Up process from signing of donor agreement or contract through successful set up of codes, program folders and participation in project start up meeting.
- Manage monthly internal desk audits for country offices.
- Assist with annual external audits and with annual tax return (Form 990) preparation.
- In collaboration with the Country Finance Managers, Regional Finance Managers and the Global Finance Director, routinely assess and update finance policies and procedures, internal controls, and procurement processes.
- Ensure responsiveness and quality customer service that effectively responds to ad-hoc financial reporting, trend and analysis requests to facilitate informed decision-making by management.
- Lead awareness initiatives, including reporting systems and training programs for global staff and implementing partners. Develop training materials and training programs.
- Remain up to date on ASUs, nonprofit accounting, financial and audit best practices in the US and abroad in countries with operations; keep up with automation and technology advances in finance.
- Work with HR Manager in setting up employee salaries, payroll deductions and employee benefits. Review and approve the payroll before final transmittal.
- Maintain and manage accounting files, according to file protocols and retention policy.
- Fill in as back-up for Accounts Payable Associate, as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Controller and/or CFO.
This position has an opportunity to build out overall experience by broadening the leadership skill base to include managing additional accounting functions within the organization, including intentional succession planning with Controller, after assuming all responsibilities listed above.REQUIRED SKILLS/EXPERIENCE
- High energy and commitment to working in a diverse and multi-cultural team environment.
- Demonstrated support for IYF’s values, DEI initiatives, social justice and racial equity.
- Exceptional emotional intelligence and collaboration skills to work with cross-institutional teams.
- Demonstrated supervisory, relationship building, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience supervising and developing diverse staff both in office and remotely.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or equivalent experience, CPA or CPA candidate helpful; 5+ years of senior level accounting/financial experience with non-profit organizations ($15M+), experience working in global organizations with multi-office operating environment, multiple programs, with diverse funding streams helpful.
- Advanced knowledge of GAAP accounting rules, nonprofit accounting, including fund and grant accounting, compliance, and reporting. Government grant and contract management a plus.
- Experience using accounting and financial software applications, databases, and expertise in Excel.
- Tech savvy experience in the design and maintenance of financial management systems. Experience upgrading to cloud systems in the past 7 years a plus.
- Experience with both accounting and payroll is preferred.
- Outstanding quantitative and analytical skills. Requires reliability and organization skills.
- Proactive, creative, flexible, responsive, hands-on thinker with vigilant attention to detail.
- Oral and written English fluency is required. Proficiency in French and/or Spanish is a plus.
- Outstanding communication with demonstrated highly effective presentation and training skills.
- Flexibility to respond to periods of high pressure is required. Travel up to 25% time required.
- Growth mindset to drive innovative solutions from learnings, with high capacity to execute.
- Ability to learn, work and perform independently in an unstructured environment is required.
Exempt TO APPLY
Please apply for this position via the following link online: https://fidelityworksjobs.fidelity.com/fbmhrWebApp/la/EN38008825?mpath=TRBJO_PUBLIC
, along with your Cover Letter and Resume. IYF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues, and we welcome applications