Senior Technical Advisor, Youth Economic Opportunities LOCATION
Baltimore, MD USA (IYF offers generous telecommuting and flexible schedules for employees
Director, Assets, Strategy and Knowledge (ASK) ABOUT INTERNATIONAL YOUTH FOUNDATION (IYF®)
For 30 years, our sole focus has been to help young people succeed. Together with partners around the world, we’ve invested in ensuring that youth develop the leadership, technical, and life skills to earn a livelihood. Whether it’s landing a first job, growing a business, or driving social change, every young person deserves the opportunity to realize his or her full potential. Rooted in the belief of youth as problem-solvers, change-makers, and leaders, our initiatives are catalysts for change. For more information please consult www.iyfglobal.org
. PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The Senior Technical Advisor will provide technical leadership to IYF’s strategic objectives, and technical direction and support to existing projects and business development (BD), in the areas of economic growth, economic opportunities, livelihoods, workforce development, economic empowerment, financial inclusion, and entrepreneurship, incorporating a gender and social inclusion lens. S/he will actively engage in sector communities of practice, lead IYF’s external engagement, and liaise with Program and BD staff in IYF’s home and country offices to ensure that sector best practices are both incorporated into and influenced by IYF’s work. This senior position sits in the Assets, Strategy, and Knowledge (ASK) unit, which serves as the technical hub of IYF and supports robust program design, implementation, knowledge sharing, and thought leadership. This full-time position is based in Baltimore, MD, USA. CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide technical leadership and oversight of strategic approaches across programs, initiatives, and partnerships with components related to Youth Economic Opportunities.
- Support BD for public, corporate, and foundation donors by building IYF’s competitive knowledge base, strengthening relationships with donors and peer organizations, leading positioning and capture efforts, leading and/or providing technical input to project design, and serving in lead roles, including lead writer, on proposal teams.
- Continuously strengthen IYF’s strategic approaches and tools and ensure that they are informed by, as well as inform, the latest evidence, research, and industry best practices.
- Document IYF’s technical approaches, including production of technical notes, fact sheets, guidelines and other program resources, for use internally and externally.
- Work closely with project teams as a subject matter expert and ensure quality program delivery by identifying technical needs and providing technical assistance.
- Collaborate with IYF Baltimore and Country Office staff to generate, share, and apply project learning and best practices.
- In partnership with IYF’s Knowledge Management function, ensure coordination and information sharing on program results and approaches across the IYF Baltimore and country offices.
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships in the international development and youth sectors and lead IYF’s external engagement strategy, including representing IYF in relevant events, conferences, and communities of practice.
- Other duties as assigned (outside of CORE Responsibilities)
- Exceptional leadership, management, analytical, and critical thinking skills with the ability to work across a global, matrixed organization.
- A collegial management style that emphasizes both achieving results and working in a highly skilled, multi-cultural, and cross-functional team of professional colleagues.
- Expertise in the economic growth, economic opportunities, livelihoods, workforce development, economic empowerment, financial inclusion, and/or entrepreneurship sectors and knowledge of industry best practices. Exceptional skills in designing projects, considering gender and social inclusion, in the international development context.
- Demonstrated ability to develop innovative strategies in the youth economic opportunities and livelihoods sector, and to promote those innovations for broader organizational and industry uptake.
- Demonstrated understanding of sector trends, best practices and evidence and findings from latest research.
- Ability to assume responsibility, make sound judgments, mentor diverse staff and teams, and work independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent writing skills, including proven experience writing technical pieces including business development proposals.
- Exceptional oral and written English communication skills and ability to engage with policymakers, donors, technical, and non-specialized audiences. Fluency in a second language (e.g., Spanish, Portuguese, French) is a plus.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed.
- Minimum of 8 years of progressively responsible experience providing technical expertise and assistance to projects in the youth economic opportunities and/or livelihoods sectors. 5+ years of experience managing or providing technical assistance to international development projects, particularly to USG or other major bilateral or multilateral-funded interventions.
- Bachelor’s degree in International Development, Economics, Social Sciences, or closely related field is required. Master’s Degree or above is strongly preferred.
- Experience designing new projects, contributing to BD positioning strategies, and leading the development of multi-year, multi-million dollar proposals, particularly for USAID and preferably for a wide range of other major public and private institutional donors in the Economic Growth and/ or Youth Development sector.
- Active participation in the economic growth, youth development and economic opportunities technical communities, a robust professional network, and familiarity with key organizational players in the sector.
Exempt TO APPLY
Please apply for this position via the following link online: https://fidelityworksjobs.fidelity.com/fbmhrWebApp/la/EN38008825?mpath=TRBJO_PUBLIC
, along with your Cover Letter and Resume. IYF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues, and we welcome applications