The Manager, Culturally Responsive Communications is an integral part of the Alliance for a Healthier Generation’s (Healthier Generation) Marketing & Communications team, working collaboratively towards the organization’s goal of improving racially and socioeconomically-based health inequities. This position has the unique opportunity to intensify Healthier Generation’s engagement across various target audiences and share culturally relevant materials about Healthier Generation’s work.
This position will be responsible for driving the communications strategy to connect with various audiences. As a member of the Marketing and Communications Team, this person will work cross-functionally to build relationships with media outlets and build connections with community and families through digital communications and virtual events. This position will also contribute to the development and implementation of Healthier Generation’s overall creative and brand strategy across a range of print and digital communications, virtual learning and training products, photo and video content that align to and advance Healthier Generation’s equity, diversity, and inclusion goals. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Develop and project manage national digital marketing campaign strategies to elevate the Healthier Generation’s brand, advance and scale programmatic goals and strengthen funder relationships.
- Create and execute campaigns and narratives that are designed to reach and engage a wide variety of audiences from Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC) community to communities experiencing poverty to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and/or Questioning, Intersex, and Asexual and/or Ally (LGBTQIA+) communities.
- Demonstrate understanding of intercultural communications, importance of addressing health disparities/inequity and strategies for communicating with historically marginalized populations through digital communications.
- Build media relationships across family, parenting, education outlets with an emphasis on BIPOC communities.
- Support national and local media relations and thought leadership efforts, including strategy, writing, editing, and dissemination associated with select partners and funders.
- Provide audience-centric support for partnerships, earned media activities, social media engagement, and paid media efforts.
- Partner with Chief Marketing Officer, Vice President, Marketing & Communications, and Senior Director, Brand & Communications to update and evolve the voice and visuals of our brand, along with creative guidelines, to support the organization, external partners and agencies.
- Serve as the lead in drafting written communications materials (e.g., blog posts, website copy, press releases, statements, social media posts, etc.) that reflect culturally relevant audience insights and inclusive communications.
- Support integrating photo and video brand onto the website, into training materials as well as print resources in support of Healthier Generation’s EDI goals.
- Support project managers and functional leads on digital communications tasks.
- Serve as the project manager for updates to HealthierGeneration.org.
- Serve as the project and communications lead for direct-to-consumer virtual events.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Strong understanding of equity, diversity and inclusion as it relates to health and well-being.
- Knowledge and experience in human-interest storytelling, with the ability to consistently develop innovative ways to tell stories via multimedia.
- Excels at writing content for a variety of channels including email distributions, websites, and other collateral materials.
- Ability to understand complex issues and explain them verbally and in writing across different styles (e.g., blog post, website, social media, etc.).
- Knowledge and interest working with media and peer organizations that serve BIPOC communities.
- Excels at research, able to identify trends, threats, and opportunities in digital communications space.
- Experience utilizing marketing tactics to generate traffic, convert visitors into leads and nurture leads into champions for children’s health (e.g. email subscribers, registered users).
- Strong interpersonal skills required, effectively interacting with individuals across all levels, backgrounds, lived experiences, and perspectives.
- Strong understanding of key performance drivers and ability to execute against findings.
- Expertise in social media platforms including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and Instagram.
- Experience working in traditional media relations/public relations and with associated platforms (e.g., Cision, Meltwater)
- Experience successfully managing account/client/funder relationships and reporting against (grant) outcomes.
- Ability to learn new program details and concepts quickly.
- Ability to manage multiple work streams, prioritize, monitor status and drive projects to successful completion.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively within a virtual team environment.
- Required travel by car or plane up to 10% of the time.
- Dedicated remote work space to include a work surface and chair.
This job description is subject to change at any time. The Alliance for a Healthier Generation is committed to Equal Employment Opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications or related field required or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5+ years of professional experience in developing and implementing marketing campaigns and communications for culturally-diverse audiences, including writing and editing for digital platforms.
- Experience in working on national communication campaigns/programs for culturally- diverse audiences.
- Demonstrable knowledge of current industry standards including those that apply to digital marketing and user experience.
- Direct-to-consumer branding/digital communications or public relations experience preferred
- Speech writing experience a plus.