Accountable for the outcomes produced by direct reports and the financial exposure associated with the assigned team’s claim volume. Review and authorize settlements within authority and escalate with recommended plan of action as appropriate. Champion department initiatives and change management. Develop fair solutions to meet the needs of Church Mutual and our policyholders. Supervisor responsibilities to include staffing, training and development, performance management, and work force planning.
I. Supervisor/manager responsibilities may include all of the following:
A. Staffing needs, to include interviewing and onboarding for new employees.
B. Training and development, as well as coaching and motivation, for staff.
C. Performance management, goal setting, employee engagement, and salary administration.
D. Work force management to include; unit equipment, software, and space needs, approving time off and overtime usage, and budget recommendations.
II. Accountable for the outcomes produced by direct reports and the financial exposure associated with the team’s claim volume. Provide direction and coaching to facilitate positive results. Ensure unit is meeting expectations as defined by the Claim Unit's Best Practice guidelines.
III. Review and authorize settlements within Claim Supervisor authority and escalate with recommended plan of action as appropriate. Offer claim resolution techniques to complex claims including mediations, hearings, and settlement conferences.
IV. Monitor performance of team through the use of claim audits, work product review, and dialogue with direct reports. Assist and support the creation and implementation of audit action plan with suggested goals and training opportunities. Conduct coaching and mentoring interactions with team members. Provide meaningful career development guidance to direct reports.
V. Communicate effectively to team members, peers, and business partners. Champion department initiatives and change management through effective written and verbal communications. Initiate and implement process and procedural changes effectively to maintain productivity.
VI. Guide strategies for resolving customer concerns, providing oversight to claim handler or responding directly to customer as appropriate. Develop fair solutions to meet the needs of Church Mutual and our policyholders.
VII. Analyze management reports to ensure workloads are consistent with the skill level and experience of direct reports. Propose staffing solutions that align with unit and department goals and metrics.
VIII. Collaborate with claims management in the hiring process to ensure selection of qualified candidates for open positions. Maximize a positive onboarding/training experience through partnership with Learning and Development.
1. Prior Experience:
• Three to five years of commercial lines claims experience is required.
• Prior supervisory or leadership experience is preferred.
• Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent in related insurance experience, is required.
• Leadership or supervisory training is desirable.
• Completion of either AIC, AIM, or SCLA designations is a plus.
3. Necessary Knowledge and Abilities:
• Strong leadership qualities and demonstrated leadership skills.
• Understanding of claim handling standards and strong knowledge of state and other regulatory requirements.
• Ability to obtain and maintain state adjusting license requirements and complete continuing education requirements.
• Ability to effectively listen to others and collaboratively share ideas and communicate effectively throughout all levels of the organization.
• Effective interpersonal skills in order to coach and lead individuals to their full potential to meet company objectives, and to work cohesively in a team environment.
• Ability to develop a comprehensive and thorough understanding of the claims system(s) and related sub-systems and its functions.
• Strong judgment, decision-making skills, and organizational abilities.
• Ability to approach problem-solving systematically and creatively.
• Knowledge of work-processing procedures and ability to recognize potential improvement opportunities.
• Knowledge and ability to work with various systems, software, applications, programs, and databases.
• Knowledge of the concepts of best practices, continuous improvement strategies, operational efficiency, and change management practices.
Church Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.