Just a few of the Benefits enjoyed by PPIL employees…
-Company subsidized premiums on Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
-Up to 12 weeks Paid Parental Leave for eligible employees
-Generous Paid Time Off (PTO) and paid holidays
-Mission focused work
-401k with employer matching
-100% company-paid Life Insurance
-100% company-paid Short and Long Term Disability Coverage
-Robust Employee Assistance Program
-Professional Development awards and opportunities
-Flexible Spending Accounts
-Free Medical Services at PPIL
The Program Manager of Advocacy and Campaigns for Western Cook County & Western Suburbs is responsible for managing constituency programs that build the supporter base for Planned Parenthood of Illinois, Planned Parenthood Illinois Action, and Planned Parenthood Illinois Action PAC. The Program Manager will identify, organize, and activate volunteer advocates who identify with Planned Parenthood’s mission and reflect the diversity of its patient base. In addition, the Program Manager will work collaboratively with the other members of the Public Policy Department to execute grassroots organizing, advocacy, and campaign plans to further the policy goals of the organization. The Program Manager reports to the Deputy Director of Advocacy and Campaigns.
This Program Manager will manage the Raíz program for the first year of employment. Bi-lingual Spanish/English applicants preferred.
The Raíz program is Planned Parenthood's Latinx organizing program dedicated to working within the Latinx community for access to abortion, reproductive health, sex education.
1. Works in collaboration with the other members of the Public Policy Department according to the department’s strategic plans and goals.
2. Demonstrates an understanding of and accountability to Planned Parenthood’s mission and its core values of access, activism, care, confidentiality, excellence, integrity, respect, self-determination, and stewardship; practices these values in relation with internal and external customers.
3. Incorporates a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all projects, activities, and relationships with team members, advocates, and community partners.
4. Manages constituency program[s].
5. Supervises constituency program staff and volunteer advocates.
6. Works with Public Policy Department leadership and Development staff to secure and track grant funding for constituency programs.
7. Supports constituency programs managed by other Public Policy Program Managers.
8. Ensures organizational base building goals are met by:
•Developing and executing plans, meet goals for the number of new prospective supporters identified and added to our database;
•Creating and participating in opportunities to expand our reach, meet new supporters and generate new contacts that reflect the diversity of PPIL’s patient base;
•Managing a Health Center Advocacy Program, including orientation, training, and associated administrative duties;
•Conducting grassroots, pro-Planned Parenthood organizing in legislative districts, on campuses, at public events, etc.;
•Developing teams of advocates in targeted geographic areas who are informed on local, state, and national reproductive health issues, educate their community and public officials on the importance of the issues, and take action to support the public policy goals of PPIL/PPIA; and
•Provide selection, supervision, on-going training, and feedback (including evaluations) to volunteers and interns.
9. Activates the PPIL/PPIA advocates to support policy issues, campaigns, and goals by:
•Developing and executing grassroots plans and strategies;
•Managing events and activities that turn out supporters and activists; and
•Coordinating member-to-member campaigns to tap into the networks of our supporters.
10. Supports PPIA and PPIA PAC electoral goals by organizing and managing electoral events and activities such as canvasses and phone banks.
11. Acts as liaison and provides leadership and active participation in partnership with community organizations and coalitions to broaden support for Planned Parenthood issues and establish PPIL/PPIA as an ally.
12. Increases PPIL/PPIA’s visibility in assigned region.
13. Represents PPIL/PPIA to the community in a professional manner.
1. Coordinate and attend volunteer meetings and grassroots volunteer activities.
2. Coordinates and implements Planned Parenthood sponsored lobby days, rallies and advocacy activities.
3. Other duties as assigned.
The physical demand characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, talk, read, see, and hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands and fingers to type, handle, or feel and reach. The employee is regularly required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Supervisor: Deputy Director, Advocacy and Campaigns
Status: Full-time, exempt from the overtime provisions of the wage and salary guidelines.
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree and a minimum three years in grassroots organizing, legislative, political, or constituent education required. Demonstrated ability to direct campaigns in sensitive political situations; successful experience in planning and implementing strategic legislative, electoral, or community support campaigns in pursuit of organizing goals. Significant past involvement in reproductive rights and health, or women’s rights, is preferred. Preference will also be given to candidates who are bilingual in Spanish and English with good written and oral language skills.
Ability to handle high-stress situations and to think as well as act flexibly and creatively in a high-paced environment; Ability to maintain a flexible work schedule, including at times, long and irregular hours. Must have the ability to work remotely as needed.
Experience working in a multi-cultural environment, including communities of color, where commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion based on race, ethnic origin, gender, age, sexual orientation/identity and physical ability is important to the institutional values.
Working knowledge of the Voter Activation Network (VAN) systems as well as community organizing and leadership development is desirable.
This position is based at the Aurora Health Center. The majority of the time will be spent working remotely and in the community. This position requires traveling statewide, therefore a personal vehicle, a valid Illinois driver’s license, and auto insurance in accordance with agency liability standards is required.
Professional Qualities: A self-starter, with the ability to organize and maintain large amounts of diverse information with attention to detail. Must possess strong program management skills with a proven ability to initiate, plan, execute, and close programs while keeping the needs of the agency as the highest priority. Outstanding interpersonal, presentation, and written communication skills and ability to manage internal and external stakeholder expectations. High-energy, skilled organizer who thrives in a fast-paced work environment, learns quickly, can think on their feet, and has a strong commitment to racial and gender equity, and a passion for social change.
A commitment to the operating goals of Planned Parenthood is essential. Ability to function independently as a representative of Planned Parenthood while meeting the strategic goals outlined. Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word, and Power Point, is a necessity.
DIVERSE CANDIDATES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
Planned Parenthood works affirmatively to include diversity among its workforce and does not discriminate in the selection of its staff based on factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, income, marital status or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.