Communications Specialist, PPDLocation:
Anywhere in the US remotely or Ashburn, VA Salary Range:
The National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA) is the leading not-for-profit organization dedicated to building strong, vibrant, and resilient communities through the power of parks and recreation. With more than 60,000 members, NRPA advances this mission by investing in and championing the work of park and recreation professionals and advocates — the catalysts for positive change in service of equity, climate-readiness, and overall health and well-being. For more information, visit www.nrpa.org
. For digital access to NRPA’s flagship publication, Parks & Recreation
, visit www.parksandrecreation.org
The Communications Specialist
, reporting to the Manager of Communications, is a collaborative communicator and liaison, able to provide administrative and technical support to NRPA’s Marketing, Communications team in conjunction with the Partnership, Programs and Development team. The Communications Specialist is responsible for supporting strategies that increase awareness of NRPA’s goals and messaging to diverse audiences and strengthening both the internal and external communication systems of NRPA.
This position coordinates programmatic messaging, creates toolkits, talking points and provides website updates for NRPA’s Partnership, Programs and Development team while working within the Marketing, Communications and Publications team at NRPA. This position writes external emails and social media messaging to support NRPA’s communications initiatives. This position is also actively involved in the creative process and works closely with all departments to plan and schedule communications. The Communications Specialist maintains communication schedules and shares email and social media metrics with all relevant stakeholders. Responsibilities and Duties:
- Offers support to NRPA’s Marketing and Communications team, as well as the Partnerships, Programs and Development (PPD) team, in designing and editing materials for a range of audiences and contexts, including research and meeting reports, case studies, briefs, toolkits, peer-reviewed articles and if needed press releases and statements.
- Liaise with graphic designers and other vendors to develop and produce materials.
- Ensure NRPA’s branding and style compliance and represent Marketing and Communication Team policies and guidelines across all materials.
- Support all staff with presentation design and critical eye for data visualization communication.
- Offer administrative support to the Communications Team in tracking products and materials according to deadlines.
- Creates and manages the deployment of marketing emails and social media posts.
- Creates and manages the deployment of social media messages through all channels.
- Maintains and manages the email and social media schedules for the Partnership, Program and Development team.
- Assists with email and social media metric collection and reporting.
- Provides input on email and social media tactics supporting campaigns and initiatives.
- Coordinates paid social media advertising supporting marketing campaigns.
- Assists with development of marketing and communications plans while working closely with all departments.
Candidate Work Style:
- High School Diploma + 2 years of continuing education or equivalent required.
- Minimum of 3 – 5 years of experience in a related field; position specific experience is a plus, Association or experience in the field parks and recreation preferred.
- Previous experience using email marketing platforms and social media platforms.
- Some knowledge of HTML, CSS, and Adobe Photoshop a plus. Also, proficiency in Excel and Microsoft platforms.
- Creativity, attention to detail and strong writing skills are all key to the position.
- Time management and high-level organizational skills with the ability to be flexible in a fast-paced environment are necessary.
- Travel up to 10% of the time.
Required Materials and Application Process
- Excels in a dynamic, fast-paced work environment.
- Self-directed and detail-oriented with a collaborative and professional team spirit to contribute to a collegial, team-oriented environment.
: Applicants without the following required materials may not be considered for this position:
- Cover Letter detailing your background and description how your experience and education would make you a successful candidate for this position (limit 2 pages).
Applicants will first be evaluated on the completeness and qualifications of application materials. Qualified applicants will then be invited for a phone screen and selected applicants will be invited to a Zoom interview. Finalists will be required to submit references for a reference and background check. Who May Apply:
This position is open to all qualified applicants.
NRPA values diversity, equity and inclusion and we are committed to integrating these core values more deeply into all elements of our daily work. NRPA is an equal opportunity employer and highly encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, ethnic minorities, new Americans (immigrants and refugees), LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities, native people, and veterans. Discover the Benefits at NRPA!
NRPA has been named a Top Workplace by The Washington Post every year since 2014. To promote healthy lifestyles, at work and away, we have established programs like Teleworking, FlexTime Schedules, 37.5-hour workweek, Employee Assistance Programs, Educational Assistance Programs, Lunch-and-Learn sessions, and more. NRPA also offers a competitive Heath benefits package, generous PTO program where employees accrue 26 days of paid time per year, parental leave, and retirement and savings benefits.