Mystic Seaport Museum is seeking a full-time, year-round dynamic Youth Intern and Program Coordinator to run a summer youth intern program and to coordinate programming for the Museum’s emerging Center for Experiential Education. The Museum’s summer intern program is for college and graduate students interested in pursuing a career in museum studies, anthropology, public humanities, maritime studies, or other related fields including Native American, African, or African American Studies. The summer youth intern program is part of a multi-year initiative funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation called Reimagining New England Histories: Historical Injustice, Sovereignty and Freedom This project will explore and reinterpret histories of New England to students, scholars, and a national public, challenging prevailing narratives about the region as founded on principles of liberty and justice for all. The Center for the Study of Slavery and Justice at Brown University, Mystic Seaport Museum, and Williams College will use maritime history as a basis for studying the relationship between European colonization, dispossession of Native American land, and racial slavery. This position will also be an essential part of the team developing and implementing the Museum’s emerging Center for Experiential Education (CEE). The mission of the Center for Experiential Education is to engage under-resourced youth in experiential maritime education anchored in positive youth development to help them enhance their social, emotional, and leadership skills. The Youth Intern and Program Coordinator will help recruit youth participants for the CEE programming, implement staff and participant training on leadership and positive youth development, and create and help deliver engaging programming. This position is grant funded for two years (January 2022-December 2023).
Essential Job Functions
- Summer youth intern program (primarily January-August each year)
- Develop and post Request for Applications for summer intern program
- Actively recruit intern candidates
- Interview and select 5-6 summer interns
- Develop and lead summer programming for interns, including field trips to other cultural institutions, weekly discussion seminars, and coordinate research projects with internal and external partners
- Actively manage and participate in programming with the interns during the summer
- Serve as the primary mentor and staff contact for the summer interns
- CEE Participant Recruitment and Community Engagement (primarily September-December and part-time Jan.-May each year)
- Work with the Youth Development Program Coordinator to recruit youth to participate in the Center for Experiential Education programming.
- Engage in community outreach to build and maintain relationships with a diverse array of organizations and individuals to further goals of the Center for Experiential Education.
- CEE Program Management and Operations
- Work with the Youth Development Program Coordinator to research, develop, plan, and implement age-appropriate outcome based programs for children and youth based on a Positive Youth Development framework.
- Work with the Youth Development Program Coordinator to provide mentorship and support to assist participants in addressing presenting issues and motivate youth in their decision making process.
- Participate with the Youth Development Program Coordinator in planning, implementation and staffing for all youth programming, including weekend and weekday evening events
- Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by date of hire to be considered. Proof of vaccination will be required.
- Bachelor’s degree in education, human/social services, youth development, or other relevant field
- Experience in youth development/youth services with proven ability to engage and motivate youth of varied backgrounds
- Knowledge of positive youth development and the ability to work with the most vulnerable populations
- Strong ability to motivate youth and manage behavior problems in a positive manner
- Strong leadership and mentor skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A self-starter with strong organizational and time management skills
- Prior experience running youth intern programs a plus