Summary of the Opportunity
We are looking for a Coordinator, Community Events and Engagement (“Coordinator”) to implement community-building, awareness-raising, and educationally-focused events for teachers and students across the country, in both in-person and virtual settings. Supervised by and in collaboration with the Senior Manager of Events, the Coordinator will be responsible for planning and implementing all teacher and student engagements related to in-person and virtual fundraising events and opportunities, and programmatic-focused events.
The Coordinator will be an active ambassador for all the work we do, responsible for creating positive experiences for teachers and students in the Little Kids Rock (LKR) community to engage with our mission. We’re looking for a strong event planner, ideally with a background in an academic or school-based setting, and with a strong passion for LKR’s mission to transform lives through music education.
Through a variety of events, LKR raises funds and cultivates support for its mission, while also celebrating and providing engagement opportunities for music teachers and students in schools across the United States. Events are one of the most important ways that we grow, connect, and inspire both our supporter and teacher communities. Many events moving forward will have both in-person and virtual elements, capitalizing on opportunities to engage varied audiences in multiple locations, and continuing to invest in digital engagement resources while realizing the value of bringing our community members together face-to-face.
The Coordinator will serve as a link between program, events, and development department members on the organization’s events and engagement efforts. This is a full-time “shared services” position that reports to the Senior Manager of Events. Responsibilities
Skills, Experiences and QualificationsAbout You
- Serve as the primary point of contact for teachers and student families (as applicable) related to organizational events, facilitating teacher and student interaction in all organizational events and engagement opportunities.
- Support fundraising events that involve teacher and student interaction, including in-person and virtual fundraisers and cultivation events, providing logistical support as needed and as available.
- Support cultivation events and engagement opportunities, such as classroom visits from artists and other supporters, and corporate partner engagement with teachers and students.
- Support LKR’s major programmatic events, including the Modern Band Summit professional development conference, and other virtual and in-person initiatives for teachers and students.
- Schedule and confirm regional and school-based programmatic events, including teacher socials and webinars.
- Strategize with the program department to create plans and processes to effectively execute on and evaluate LKR’s teacher and student related events, including in-person and virtual classroom visits.
- Evaluate program-themed event initiatives and make recommendations based on impact and efficacy.
- Provide high-quality customer service to internal and external stakeholders, including fellow colleagues, event participants, teachers, volunteers, and partners.
- Work with the technology department to manage event processes in Salesforce, from approval processes through evaluation, including updating and verifying records within Salesforce (e.g. teacher/school contact information, event attendance, virtual meeting links, locations, and other relevant information).
- Maintain strong relationships with teachers, students, administrators, and broader educational community, including facilitating and stewarding relationships with leaders within the teacher community to further support and enhance the impact of LKR’s events strategy.
- Identify and track school programs that have great and emerging student bands and classroom setups conducive to event opportunities.
- Coordinate distribution, collection and filing of student/parent permission forms and media release forms (working closely with the technology department to keep records in Salesforce).
- Other responsibilities and tasks as assigned and as available.
Strong candidates will bring a diverse set of skills, characteristics, and experiences, both professional and lived. Little Kids Rock strives to mitigate inherent biases that influence hiring practices by focusing on a holistic view of potential candidates and understanding that no single candidate will offer every desired skill and characteristic.
The following offers an aspirational view of the ideal candidate profile; we encourage applications from candidates with a wide range of experiences and backgrounds, especially those from underrepresented groups. Educator- and Community-Focused
Understands the culture, community and ecosystem of the K-12 education space in America. Has the ability to use their passion to galvanize and engage educators, students and parents to further LKR’s mission. Problem Solver
Ability to be resourceful and thoughtful in finding creative ways to meet organizational needs. Able to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities as conditions require. Connector
Ability to build strategic relationships that connect LKR’s mission with external audiences, partners, teachers, music lovers and donors alike; Ability to work across lines of difference and build consensus both internally and externally. High level of emotional intelligence. Results-Driven
Able to identify the actions necessary to achieve task completion and positive results. Able to meet deadlines and performance goals. Logistics Minded
Thrives on creating order. Able to organize processes and keep details from falling through the cracks at all times. Ability to handle multiple tasks and competing deadlines in a fast-paced environment; can prioritize effectively and is extremely organized, detail-oriented and efficient. Purpose Aligned and Committed to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Committed to kids and teachers and passionate about the power of music to impact their lives. Culturally responsive and able to identify and navigate power and privilege dynamics, as well as willing to assess gaps in own cultural awareness, listen to feedback, and commit to ongoing growth and learning in these areas. Skills and Experiences
Preferred Skills and Experiences
- At least 3 years of experience in event planning, event management or program management, preferably in an educational setting.
- Experience working in schools, with teachers, educators and parents.
- A successful track-record of coordinating virtual events and event integrations with software-based solutions.
- Comfortable in an online environment and “tech-forward,” with an aptitude for working with digital systems and applications to build effective engagement opportunities.
- Strong customer-service skills.
- Ability to connect teachers, schools, and supporters to LKR’s mission through strategic relationships.
- Can handle multiple tasks and competing deadlines in a fast-paced environment; can prioritize effectively, and extremely organized, detail-oriented and efficient.
- Superb written and verbal communications skills, copyediting and proofreading skills, and ability to compose effective and brand-conscious communications.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Google Suite.
- Proficiency with database systems, preferably Salesforce.
Compensation and Benefits
- Experience planning or managing fundraising events in a nonprofit setting.
- Proficiency with other software solutions, such as project management and financial applications.
- Displays a sense of fun, wonder and humor.
- Music maker is a plus.
Salary range for this position is $47,000 - $50,000 per year. Little Kids Rock is committed to its team and strives to offer employees a competitive compensation package that reflects the organization’s values, culture, and mission. Salary is in accordance with Little Kids Rock’s competitive compensation and career path plan, and the organization’s array of benefits include medical coverage (health, dental, vision) with significant employer contributions, short and long-term disability, life insurance, matching 403(b) plan and pre-tax spending accounts (FSA, commuter). Perks include generous discretionary time off policy, flexible work arrangements and professional development. Application Process
Please submit an application through the link provided. References may be requested. No phone calls please. Early submission recommended. We are accepting applications until December 31, 2021. This position is available immediately. Location and Travel
This is a full-time position, based remotely. The organization will eventually return to an office environment, likely in Northern New Jersey. At that time, this position may be required to commute periodically to this office. Occasional travel will be required, including events and event planning trips. Working at Little Kids Rock – Our Workplace Values
Little Kids Rock is committed to recruiting and maintaining a diverse staff; individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We promote equity, diversity and inclusion in order to create a healthy and safe work space as we work together to foster success for future generations. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parenthood, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
- We are committed to kids and teachers and passionate about the power of music to impact their lives.
- We are one team, with one mission, and one groove, and together we make good things happen.
- We are creative, entrepreneurial, positive and playful.
- We are inspirational.
- We are accountable.
- We are respectful.
- We support personal and professional growth.
- We work to lead the field – thoughtfully, strategically and with urgency.